Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Springtime

Springtime is supposed to be nice, but for some reason, living in a temperate zone, I prefer the Fall. I can't quite put my finger on it. Winter's chill is gone, the Sun is moving back to the Tropic of Cancer, but nothing seems joyous. Around my town, it rains quite often in the Spring, but even this year, being a year of lesser rainfall, with more exhibitions of Sun, I have felt a melancholy. It's as if deep down, I know the seasons should begin with the darker months, where the darkness precedes and is more natural than the Light. Car washes, barbeques, the promise of warmer days, none of them seem to ring true.

Now, when the Summer finally hits, as now, I suppose I accept on some level the Sun has risen, and my somewhat foul mood lifts. No longer a promise, the heat and the lightening bugs have arrived, and the heat is prescient. I get the hair buzzed and throw on shorts, tee shirt and flip-flops whenever possible.

But standing in the Summer Sun, I can still feel a coldness, as if a dark cloud is wrapped around my otherwise happy city. I don't quite know why, but it just seems obvious Summer is more transient than Winter..as if again the proper turn of the Seasons is from Fall to Winter, Winter to Spring, Spring to Summer...where the Sun finally bursts into flames it can't sustain ...

No comments: